Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Julia Child's French Onion Soup

After much drooling at photos of French Onion Soup, I decided to give it a try myself.  I stuck fairly closely to Julia Child's recipe, only really changing the fact I didn't add herbs, as I wanted it to taste like onions rather than those herbs.

In the end it turned out very good! I have decided if I make it in the future, I will do a LOT more onions, as doing just 4 onions turned into two bowls of soup, and if you're going to spend so much time cooking, then you might as well have some leftovers!

On top I put two slices from a baguette, and grated parmesan cheese.

French Onion Soup
French Onion Soup ready to be devoured.
The recipe briefly:
- cut up 4 onions (I used my handy dandy Kyocera vegetable slicer for this, makes nice even slices)
- caramelize for 45mins to an hour (took me about an hour and a half, as I went really really slowly!)
- add beef broth and simmer for an hour
- put in over proof bowls, add bread slices to top, add grated cheese and broil until melted and brown
- eat.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena